The Department of Immigration (DOI) is the principal authority to execute and implement the immigration laws of Nepal. Established under the Ministry of Home Affairs (Government of Nepal), it is assigned with the responsibility of monitoring, controlling and regulating entry, exit and stay of foreign nationals in Nepal. Furthermore, it shoulders the obligation of managing entry and exit (Arrival and Departure) of Nepali citizens to and from Nepal.
The Department of Immigration is guided by legal framework laid down by Immigration Act, 2049; Immigration Regulation, 2051 & Immigration Procedure, 2065 and thus derive functions of issuing Visa, Trekking Permit, detaining and investigating on violations or breaching of the Immigration laws of country and filing lawsuits in the court. These functions are administered through DOI office (Kathmandu) and twelve Entry and Exit points including Immigration office, TIA (Tribhuvan International Airport).
On Arrival tourist visas are issued by Immigration Offices at Entry and Exit points except for Immigration office, Pokhara. Immigration office, Pokhara extends Tourist Visa and issues trekking permits for restricted areas trekking unlike other Entry and Exit points. Tourist visa extension can be done from the Department of Immigration, Kathmandu. Non Tourist visa is issued and extended only from the DOI office, Kathmandu.
The Department of Immigration is working in close coordination with other stakeholders for safer migration and tourism promotion. We have been promoting tourism via 'On Arrival' Tourist visa at TIA – the only International Airport of Nepal, where our officials are at work 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. We are constantly looking for ways to introduce reforms and innovation in our service delivery as well as to accomplish our roles & responsibilities dictated by the governing immigration rules and regulations.
Functions of the Department:
According to Paragraph 2, 2.2 of the Immigration Procedure, 2065, the functions of the department are as follows:
● Provide necessary Nepali visa to foreigners, make necessary arrangements to make them available,
● To extend the previous visa on demand for extension as per the law.
● To certify arrival/departure record if requested by Nepalese or foreigners,
● To provide Trekking permit to the foreigner in restricted trekking areas,
● To cancel Trekking permit or Visa,
● To Monitor, manage and control the presence of foreigners in Nepal,
● To manage the arrival and departure of Nepali citizens into/from Nepal,
● Investigate and prosecute immigration offenses, including using fake passports or fake visas, re-entering Nepal during the deportation period and smuggling people illegally, and dismissing cases in accordance with the law.
● To file a case as required or keep the missile in custody by ensuring the authenticity of the person and his / her documents who have been deported or denied entry.
● To depart or expulse of a foreigner who has already served a sentence on a charge or who has acted in violation of the Immigration Act and rules.
● To Keep up-to-date records of deported foreigners,
● To Investigate and prosecute the other functions against the Immigration Act
List of Immigration Offices:
|S.No.||Immigration Office||Office Chief||Contact Number||Fax Number|
|1.||Tribhuwan International Airport||Mr Goulochan Saiju||+977-9851140010, 01-4113045||01-4113090|
|2.||Belahiya, Bhairahawa||Mr Giriraj Khanal||+977-9857063991, 071-418020||071-520629|
|3.||Pokhara, Kaski||Ms Pramila Gautam||+977-9849102519, 061-465167||061-465167|
|4.||Kakarbhitaa, Jhapa||Mr Janak Koirala||+977-9852674913, 023-562054||023-563569|
|5.||Birgunj, Parsa||Ms Sanju Sunar||+977-9845816788, 051-527447||051-527447|
|6.||Jamuanaha, Banke||Ms Roji Sapkota||+977-9849924301, 081-412005||081-412005|
|7.||Mohana, Dhangadi||Mr. Madhav Prasad Joshi||+977-9858750389, 091-523246||091-416246|
|8.||Gaddachauki, Kanchanpur||Mr Padam Raj Bhatta||+977-9848977057, 099-402004||099-402004|
|9.||Rasuwagadhi, Rasuwa||Mr Ramchandra Kafle||+977-9841531168||010-540133|
|10.||Kodari, Sindhupalanchwok||Mr Ramchandra Kafle||+977-9841531168|
|12.||Pashupatinagar, Illam||Mr Janak Koirala||+977-9852674913|