According to Paragraph 2, 2.2 of the Immigration Procedure, 2065, the functions of the department are as follows:
● Provide necessary Nepali visa to foreigners, make necessary arrangements to make them available,
● To extend the previous visa on demand for extension as per the law.
● To certify arrival/departure record if requested by Nepalese or foreigners,
● To provide Trekking permit to the foreigner in restricted trekking areas,
● To cancel Trekking permit or Visa,
● To Monitor, manage and control the presence of foreigners in Nepal,
● To manage the arrival and departure of Nepali citizens into/from Nepal,
● Investigate and prosecute immigration offenses, including using fake passports or fake visas, re-entering Nepal during the deportation period and smuggling people illegally, and dismissing cases in accordance with the law.
● To file a case as required or keep the missile in custody by ensuring the authenticity of the person and his / her documents who have been deported or denied entry.
● To depart or expulse of a foreigner who has already served a sentence on a charge or who has acted in violation of the Immigration Act and rules.
● To Keep up-to-date records of deported foreigners,
● To Investigate and prosecute the other functions against the Immigration Act